Important Things to Know about Dimethicone
What is dimethicone used for?
Dimethicone contributes to the "slip" or "glide" felt upon the application of skincare products, making them spread easily onto the skin. In addition, dimethicone coats the skin, helping to moisturize it by reducing water loss and providing the skin with softness and coverage—without feeling heavy.
Who should use dimethicone?
Gentle and non-comedogenic (when applied to clean skin), dimethicone is an effective moisturizing ingredient for all skin types. As a skin protectant at certain levels, dimethicone is especially useful for those whose skin needs an additional barrier that helps prevent moisture from escaping. Dry, itchy and rough skin may benefit from skincare products that contain dimethicone.
How is dimethicone used?
Dimethicone can be found in ointments, creams, lotions, serums, sunscreens and lip balms. To reap its moisturizing and skin-protectant benefits, use these products as directed.
How does dimethicone work?
Dimethicone forms a barrier on the skin that helps minimizes water loss. Dimethicone also helps improve the skin’s smoothness and flexibility by filling gaps between the cells in the uppermost layer of your skin.
Can dimethicone be used on the body?
Dimethicone is a gentle, effective moisturizing ingredient for both the face and body. It helps provide long-lasting skin-smoothing benefits, and is ideal for areas prone to rough, dry skin such as knees, elbows, hands and feet, and can help with certain skin conditions like eczema.
Explore Our Ingredients
- Facts About Benzoyl Peroxide in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Dimethicone in Skincare | CeraVe
- What Is Glycolic Acid | CeraVe
- Facts About Hyaluronic Acid in Skincare | CeraVe
- Jojoba Oil Benefits for Skin | CeraVe
- Facts About Lactic Acid in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Niacinamide in Skincare | CeraVe
- Peptides for Skin | CeraVe
- Facts About Petrolatum in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Pramoxine Hydrochloride in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Retinol in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Salicylic Acid in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Titanium Dioxide in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Urea in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Vitamin C in Skincare | CeraVe
- Facts About Zinc Oxide in Skincare | CeraVe
Stay Informed On All Things Skincare
Sign up to receive information about new products, skincare routines, tips, and special offers.*